Sun, 2017-09-17 12:43
2. Politics as God sees it
We are less than a week out from our General Elections. This coming Saturday we have an opportunity, yes, a duty to elect this nation’s political leaders for the next term of three years.
- Monday 11th September – Advance Voting started
- Friday 22nd September – Last day for enrolment (legally required)
- Saturday 23rd September – Election Day (9.00am to 7.00pm)
Last week we covered 4 main points:
- God wants to choose the king (prime minister)
- Righteousness exalts a nation
- Political Philosophy determines a Political Party’s Policy
- The Political Spectrum
In any given Election:
- Many people neglect to vote
- Many people vote traditionally
- Some people vote randomly
- Most people vote selfishly
- Some people vote tactically
- God wants Christians to vote Biblically
Christians should first and foremost look for the moral and ethical qualifications of political candidates before they look for their professional qualification.
Matthew 6:33 (NCV) Seek first God’s kingdom and what God wants. Then all your other needs will be met as well.
We are called to seek God’s kingdom first, not only for our own lives and families, but also for our nation.
Questions to ask ourselves:
- How can I advance God’s kingdom and His righteousness with my vote?
- Which political party or candidate, with their philosophy and policies, is deserving of my righteous vote?
Matthew 6:33 (TEV) Instead, be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God and with what He requires of you, and He will provide you with all these other things.
There is a strong need to retain, and where needed, return to a “values-based” society established on Judeo-Christian principles.
We have become a “rights-based” society established on humanistic and trendy philosophies.
The more “rights” we give to minority and special interest groups, the more we take away the “rights” of the general public.
As a Christian country with Christian foundations we should resist humanistic and trendy philosophies. Some of these philosophies may sound good on the surface, but they will further move the nation away from true Kingdom of God values.
Do not allow liberal and trendy politicians to destroy foundations such as:
- Our Christian heritage
- Traditional marriage values
- Traditional family values
- Freedom of speech
Proverbs 22:28 (ESV) Do not move the ancient landmark that your fathers have set.
The laws and societal norms of Western nations were largely based on Judeo-Christian principles. These biblical standards and values could be likened to ‘ancient landmarks’ which must not be removed.
Sadly, in recent years we have seen an eroding of Judeo-Christian principles because liberal politicians and social engineers had been voted into power.
Jeremiah 6:16 (NASB95) Thus says the Lord, “Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; and you will find rest for your souls. But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’
Jeremiah 18:15 (NASB95) For My people have forgotten Me, they burn incense to worthless gods and they have stumbled from their ways, from the ancient paths, to walk in bypaths, not on a highway.
Highways were roads that had been straightened, graded and paved.
Bypaths were windy, steep, muddy and rocky tracks.
Its time to return to the ancient paths of Judeo-Christian values.
Current Parliamentary Prayer recited each day when the House sits:
“Almighty God, humbly acknowledging our need for Thy guidance in all things, and laying aside all private and personal interests, we beseech Thee to grant that we may conduct the affairs of this House and of our country to the glory of Thy holy name, the maintenance of true religion and justice, the honour of the Queen, and the public welfare, peace, and tranquillity of New Zealand, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”
Daniel 2:20–22 (NCV) Daniel said: “Praise God forever and ever, because he has wisdom and power. 21 He changes the times and seasons of the year. He takes away the power of kings and gives their power to new kings. He gives wisdom to those who are wise and knowledge to those who understand. 22 He makes known secrets that are deep and hidden; he knows what is hidden in darkness, and light is all around him.
There are many hidden things and many private and personal agendas which we need to know about.
Consider what you will get from the political candidates / parties before us:
Consider which party will be in Parliament after the election:
For a political party to get into Parliament, they have to:
- Gain a minimum of 5% of all party votes (Party Votes)
- Or, win an Electoral Seat (Electoral Votes)
Roughly half of the 16 registered political Parties currently campaigning will not meet the minimum threshold to get into Parliament.
Therefore, a vote for one of these parties or one of their Candidates would be wasted votes.
Resources: (Brochures available at the Info Centre)
- Value your Vote – Election 2017 www.valueyourvote.org.nz/
- Vote Smart 2017 (Ps Rasik Ranchord) www.prayeratparliament.org.nz/
- God and the Government ---- “ ---- -------------- “ --------------
- Election 2017. The P.I.E.V.E. Project -------------- “ --------------
- Should Christians be engaged in politics -------------- “ --------------
- The Political Spectrum